Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Missing in Action

Hi friends! Oh how I have missed sharing with you!! 

 I know it has been a really long time since I have shared with you and I am sorry for that! We went through a pretty crazy time these past few months. Back in February, we were working really hard on negotiating a contract (as we had been working without one since the beginning of the school year). Then by the end of February we were pretty sure that it was inevitable that we would be on strike. This was very unfortunate but we were standing up for what our students need and what they deserve.
Then, in March, we DID go on strike for 9 whole days. It was nine days of camaraderie, nine days or h-e-double hockey sticks and 9 days or reflection.  Then, finally, at 2am on day 10, I got a phone call that said the strike had ended and we would be back in the classroom that morning at 7a! I have never been so happy to receive a phone call so early in the morning! I couldn't wait to get back into the classroom with my students! I had missed them sooooo much!

I will say that the strike of 2013 (as we call it) has brought each and every teacher in our district closer together and made us a stronger union. We formed a bond that no one can break and became a family of teachers. It used to be "Oh, so and so teaches at this school and so and so teaches at that school" and now we say "yes, we work together".

It really makes me kind of sad that it took a strike to make us closer but I will say that I am glad that it happened. We needed something to help us build that bond and it also helped realize that our community supports us more than we ever knew was possible. They were wonderful throughout the whole ordeal with their generous gifts of support, prayer, notes, food, and their homes. I cannot thank them enough!

Now that I am finally back in the swing of things, I hope to keep you updated with new ideas and happenings in my classroom!



No comments:

Post a Comment